Thursday, May 24, 2012

organic stuffed animals

In an effort to honor my promise to myself to eliminate petroleum based stuff from my home, I do two things:
1. I go for the item that either has no packaging or no plastic packaging whenever possible. If I can't do this, I usually find that I can do without the item altogether. Conveniently, I get the same feeling of satisfaction from going through this analysis and putting the item back on the shelf that I get from actually purchasing the item. Pupils dilate and  everything.

2. I go for the item that is not made out of some version of petroleum. I went for months without a broom because I just couldn't find one without any petroleum in it. Try to find a litterbox that is not plastic...and not pay an arm and a leg for it.  Mop bucket took months to find, too. I finally had a brain storm and went into a Tractor Supply Company and got a feed bucket. Same exact f-n thing--a bucket, so why can't places like a Lowes or HEB carry the item?

So, in case there are others like me out there, let's share our sources and thereby reduce our time looking for things that meet our criteria.

Stuffed animals:
SimplyFido   Ironcially, these are marketed as dog toys. Go Figure. But they are purrfect (couldn't resist) sizes for toddlers, even, and are made with organic stuffing, shell, dyes, and packaging. And, they are cute. I showed a bunch of them to my dentist's staff, and walked out without half of what I walked in with. You won't find these at PetSmart--they are pretty committed to plastic everything, it seems. I got my stash at a PetValue store.  www.simplyfido.com

No comments:

Post a Comment